Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s evening reception takes place at Frogmore House. Hosted by Prince Charles, the royal estate will see 200 friends of the couple join in celebrating their marriage on 19 May.
Frogmore is situated about a half mile south of Windsor Castle. Only open three days a year to the public, Frogmore is quite the picture perfect venue for the reception. It also holds a special place in the soon to be married couples hearts as it is where Harry and Ms Markle posed for their official engagement photos.
The original house was built between 1680-1684 by Architect Hugh May for his nephew, Thomas. It was situated on the estates of Great and Little Frogmore which Henry VIII purchased in the 16th Century and let out to tenants.
The name comes from the abundance of frogs that have lived in the low lying and marshy areas.Embed from Getty Images
From 1709 until 1738, The Duke and Duchess of Northumberland, the youngest son and daughter in law of Charles II and Barbara Villiers leased the property.
Queen Charlotte purchased the lease in 1792 as she felt Frogmore to be a suitable country retreat for her and her unmarried daughters. She would hire architect James Wyatt to expand and modernise the home. When Queen Charlotte died in 1818, Frogmore was passed on to her eldest unmarried daughter, Princess Augusta.
When Augusta died in 1840, Queen Victoria gave Frogmore to her mother, The Duchess of Kent. The Duchess ended up redecorating the home and used it until her death in 1861.
Months later when Prince Albert died, Queen Victoria hired architect Ludwig Gruner and Prince Albert’s chief artistic adviser, A.J. Humbert to design and build the Royal Mausoleum on the grounds of Frogmore. Following Queen Victoria’s death in 1901, she was buried there.Embed from Getty Images
The Royal Family has used Frogmore now and again since the late 1800’s.
In 1900, Prince Louis of Battenberg, the future 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma was born there. From 1902 until 1910, the future King George V and Queen Mary along wth their children frequently took up residence.
In 1923 The Duke and Duchess of York, the future King George VI and Queen Elizabeth spent part of their honeymoon at Frogmore.
The 1980’s saw extensive restoration and redecoration that was carried out by the Department of the Environment under the advisement of English Heritage and the Royal Collection.
In August 1990, Frogmore was House was opened to the public for the first time in over 200 years.
The last time Frogmore had seen Royal Wedding activity was in 2008 when Princess Margaret’s son married Autumn Kelly. Harry’s older cousin and his wife held their reception at Frogmore House.Embed from Getty Images
Presently Frogmore House is only open to individuals on three Charity Open Days each year with the proceeds donated to individually chosen charities.