The Department of Justice in the United States of America has formally told the UK Government that The Duke of York is now part of an ongoing criminal investigation and they require him to be handed over to American police for questioning. It is claimed that the Home Office received a “mutual legal assistance” in May after US authorities bypassed Buckingham Palace.
The request from the US could result in Prince Andrew either voluntarily appearing as a witness in UK courts within the next few months or being forced to by the Department of Justice in the US. A source told The Sun, “It’s a huge statement of intent from the US and it moves Andrew into the realms of a criminal investigation. It’s also, frankly, a diplomatic nightmare.”
A spokesperson close to The Duke of York’s legal team said on Sunday evening, “Legal discussions with the DOJ are subject to strict confidentiality rules, as set out in their own guidelines. We’ve chosen to abide by both the letter and the spirit of these rules, which is why we have made no comment about anything related to the DOJ during the course of this year. We believe in playing straight bat.”
It is claimed by Virginia Giuffre that she was left “horrified and ashamed” after an alleged sexual encounter with Prince Andrew in London in 2001. The Duke of York has categorically denied he had any form of sexual contact or relationship with Virginia Giuffre.
In the past, Andrew has said that he is “more than happy to talk to the FBI” and dismissed claims that he is not cooperating with the US inquiry.
Earlier this year, The Duke of York permanently stepped back from public duties including stepping down as patron of over 230 organisations.