According to court documents, The Duchess of Sussex has said she “felt unprotected by the institution of Monarchy” and “prohibited from defending herself” from media reports while pregnant with Archie-Harrison. The documents form part of The Duchess of Sussex’s legal action against the publisher of the Mail on Sunday and Mail Online who she is suing for breach of privacy and copyright infringement.
The documents reveal answers to questions from Associated Newspapers about The Duchess of Sussex’s case, reports the BBC.
The Mail on Sunday and Mail Online deny breach of privacy and copyright infringement. Back in April, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they were severing all ties with the tabloid newspapers in the United Kingdom. In a joint letter to editors at The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Mirror and Express, Harry and Meghan told them that their PR team would no longer answer their inquiries and there would be “no corroboration and zero engagement.”
In a war of words with the tabloids, Harry and Meghan also declared that they would refuse “to offer themselves up as currency for an economy of clickbait and distortion” and accused the tabloids of running stories that are “distorted, false or invasive beyond reason.”
The Duchess of Sussex is suing the above publications for publishing the contents of a private letter she sent to her father, Thomas Markle, a few weeks before she married Prince Harry at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle.
As part of its defence, the Mail on Sunday claims that the letter had already been published in People magazine in the USA.
These remarks from The Duchess of Sussex are the first time she has publicly accused the Monarchy of not supporting her through her pregnancy and did not do enough to defend her against hurtful articles.
A date for the trial is yet to be decided.
Photo: Terry Kearney