The Queen has named her new Corgi puppies Fergus and Muick. Fergus was chosen in honour of her uncle, Fergus Bowes-Lyon, who was killed in action during World War One while Muick takes it’s name from one of Her Majesty’s favourite beauty spots in Balmoral.
The two new pets were acquired by The Queen last month and arrived at Windsor Castle while The Duke of Edinburgh was still in hospital.
Fergus Bowes-Lyon was the older brother of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother and was born in 1889. During the First World War, Fergus served with 8th Battalion, Black Watch. Fergus was killed during the Battle of Hohenzollern Redoubt in the Battle of Loos. As he led the attack on the German lines, Fergus’s leg was blown off by a barrage of German artillery before bullets soon struck him in the chest and shoulders and he died on the battlefield.
Loch Muick is an upland, freshwater loch lying approximately five miles south of Braemar at the head of Glen Muick and within the boundary of the Balmoral Estate. A hunting lodge, originally built for Queen Victoria in 1868, lies at the western end of the north shore of the loch. Glas-allt Shiel was completed in 1868 and became known as the ‘Widow’s House’ or ‘Widow’s Hut’.
A source commented, “Both names are extremely poignant and dear to The Queen. Loch Muick is one of her favourite places on the Balmoral Estate and the loss of Uncle Fergus in the First World War is still honoured by the family.
Photo: Michael Garnett